Sunday, December 5, 2010

Homebrew Antenna Update from A.R.S. KD8JHJ



Things are progressing slow but sure on my first ever homebrew amateur radio antenna project.  I documented this project earlier in a couple posts that can be found here and here.

I've constructed the sleeves that connect the two sections of the main mast and also made the fiberglass insulator that separates the main mast from the top mast.  This fiberglass section also acts as a coil form on which I wound the loading coil from 20 turns of #16 magnet wire.

I drilled an extra set of holes in the fiberglass tubes so that I could wind a coil with more turns for a lower frequency in the future.  Once the coil checks out and no further adjustments are needed I will cover the loading coil with shrink tube and silicon to protect it from damage once in use. 

Loading coil for 40 meters (7 MHz)


7 comments:

  1. When are you going into the Antenna Business? Want a business partner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got one business and too many hobbies as it is Norm. Besides I don't even know if this thing is going to radiate or how well. The fun for me is in the creation and if what I build works then extra bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work! If you have a hard time finding shrink tubing of that diameter, you might consider a road inner-tube and some clamps. (Although now that I think about it, I've used shrink tubing of that size on well pumps before. The tubing was about 1" to 1.5" in diameter - check your plumping store/Home Depot). Looking forward to seeing how it checks out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mike,
    I've already got a 5 foot piece from McMaster-Carr. Good stuff. I'll squirt some silicon into the ends before I shrink it and that should seal it up good. But not so much sealant that it gets back to the coil. I want to keep air space between the individual coil wraps. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn, I'll just send the funds to Arizona's Prince John, to help him redecorate his office in the Senate Office building. I hope a Million in small unmarked bills from my friends up in Vegas will be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now don't be so hasty Norm, Let me see how the antenna works when I get it done. If it turns out to be a low angle DX sledge hammer maybe I'll be willing to deal with more fiberglass splinters in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A staff member of Arizona's Prince John saw my comment and within 30 minutes had someone at my door and the funds are gone. Sadly, I didn't even get an autographed picture. I didn't hear a thank you as the drove off either.

    ReplyDelete