Monday, July 4, 2011

Tomatoes





Because of the unusually cold and wet spring it was not until the end of May that I got my tomato plants into the ground.  In the month since it has warmed up and the little fledglings are doing quite well.  I plant one bush of cherry tomatoes to satisfy our cravings while waiting for the full size versions to develop and ripen.



I have installed cages and stakes to support the big plants and this morning I noticed that they have begun to bear fruit.  Soon we will be enjoying sliced tomatoes at the dinner table, in salads, finely diced in tacos and fajitas, Bacon-Lettuce-Tomato sandwiches, and of course straight off the vine with a dash sea salt.  I also like to bag a few of the cherries and carry them in my lunch box for a little homegrown snack on the go.

2 comments:

  1. Nice tomatoes. Also, I love gaillardia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chafed,
    I like my tomatoes in with the perennials. It makes the garden space much more interesting and prettier to look at through the season.

    ReplyDelete